The Medical Directorate's key role is to provide advice to the Chief Executive, the Trust Board and Executive Directors on implications arising from national and local policy on the Medical Workforce. The main functions are:
- Shaping the medical culture within the PCT and leading the development of a Medical Workforce Strategy.
- Provision of professional leadership to employed Doctors and General Practitioners on the PCT Performers List.
- Ensuring a robust process for underperforming doctors in primary care and ensuring the effective management of all cases giving cause for concern
- Provision of advice to Primary Care Contracting, signing-off of applications and removals from the PCT Medical Performers List.
- Overseeing and management of the appraisal process for employed medical staff and General Practitioners on the PCT Performers List.
- Support and enable service redesign in collaboration with primary care contractors and other Directorates.
- Accreditation of GPwSIs.